The Best Long Skirts and Dresses Out There

The long skirt (and dress) comeback is steadily gaining momentum. Whether it’s a backlash against the plateauing popularity of minis, or just another ‘90s trend revival, we’re kind of digging this look. And, given its prevalence on the Fall ’10 runways and even Resort, this trend isn’t dying down anytime soon. But we wondered: Can everyone pull it off?

I’m 5’2” and assumed I wouldn’t be able to until I saw stylish celebs of similar size like Rachel Bilson and the Olsens (who, granted, are somehow able to pull off literally everything that short people aren’t supposed to be able to pull off) embracing the trend. I decided that, done right, anyone can make this trend work for them and resolved to try it myself.

I saw an adorable black maxi dress with lace inserts at Topshop, grabbed it from the rack, and figured out the real reason short people don’t wear long dresses: they’re too long. The dress itself was significantly longer than my entire body, including my head. Unless I found a pair of, like, 7-inch platforms to pair these dresses with, this was not going to work. I was discouraged until I went upstairs, saw the exact same dress, got confused and then realized I was in the “petites” section! I tried the dress on and, voila, it fit perfectly and I’ve gotten countless compliments on it.

So, if you are of average or above average height, have the time/patience/money to get everything altered, or have easy access to the Topshop petites section (which isn’t actually all that extensive), this trend is totally doable. We think the trick is keeping your top half relatively fitted and simple. Here, we’ve rounded up our favorite options, some of which are available right now, followed by some we’re just really looking forward to for Fall.

Source: http://fashionista.com/2010/06/the-long-and-short-of-it-2/

ShareThis